Sunday, May 8, 2011

Spanish Children's Book

click image to enlarge

Four drawings I knocked out very quickly last week for a coworker - she needed illustrations for a Spanish children's book and was considering using Bratz doll clipart. Nothing is more repugnant than Bratz doll clipart, so I quickly sketched, scanned, inked and colored these four drawings in the span of an afternoon in the name of childhood innocence. The story is about a young girl who helps out in her father's restaurant. I tried to shoot for a Bratz doll style while avoiding the Jodie Foster circa 1976 look.


click images to enlarge

All four illustrations came together with remarkable speed. The digital ink and flat color came from the battle with my own children's book, with which I've made many educational errors. Inking over scanned pencil sketches (all on one page, below) was approximately 9000% faster than sketching digitally. Lessons! Learned!


click image to enlarge

In a perplexing move my coworker did go with the clipart, but I learned enough from the exercise to make it worthwhile. More soon on the pro-bono work I'm doing for a local nonprofit because I hate money.

No comments:

Post a Comment